Last year’s act, H.R. 5474, was introduced with immediate and broad support including the AFL-CIO, the Sierra Club, and over a hundred other faith, labor, environmental, and human rights organizations. Berta’s family and organization, COPINH (the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras), immediately applauded the action, and 52 Members of the House of Representatives officially co-sponsored the bill.
The Berta Cáceres Act (H.R. 1299) was introduced by Rep. Hank Johnson’s (GA) office, with Representatives Conyers (MI), Kaptur (OH), Serrano (NY), Schakowsky (IL), Ellison (MN), Lee (CA), Susan Davis (CA), Speier (CA), Moore (WI), McCollum (MN), Lipinski (IL), Dingell (MI), Pocan (WI), Holmes Norton (DC), Napolitano (CA), Bonamici (OR), DeLauro (CT), Gutierrez (IL), Cicilline (RI), Pingree (ME), Blumenauer (OR), Rush (IL), Tonko (NY), and Grijalva (AZ) as the initial co-sponsors of the bill.
Please call these offices to thank them for their leadership on the bill TODAY. And Let’s get to work to secure the remaining Representatives who co-sponsored last year’s bill, plus MANY MORE! All members of the House are possible signers!
———The WFP Action Alert is ready to share here———
Below is the action alert text, script, and details, then a couple lists of targets. You might want to highlight some of the recent press (links below) and the one-year commemoration of Berta’s assassination in your calls and outreach. Here is a video of Berta's daughter, Bertita, talking about The Berta Cáceres Act.
All members of the House are possible signers!
Please use the action alert to mobilize your local solidarity networks to take action ASAP.
- Johnson reintroduces the “Berta Caceres Human Rights in Honduras Act
- El Senador Leahy de los EEUU pide la cancelacion del Proyecto Agua Zarca y una comision independiente para investigar el asesinato de Berta Caceres
- La declaracion completa del Senador Leahy esta disponible en su pagina
- Ask Your Rep. To Co-Sponsor The Berta Cáceres Human Rights in Honduras Act!
- The US Trained Two Of Those Indicted For The Murder Of Berta Caceres
- Defending Berta’s Legacy—Tell Congress to stand up for human rights in Honduras
- Activists Family Asks Congresswoman to Support Act to Stop Honduran State Repression
- Justice for Berta Cáceres/¡Justicia para Berta Cáceres!
- The BERTA CÁCERES HUMAN RIGHTS IN HONDURAS ACT (H.R. 1299)